
I am really excited to share with you an awesome Web 2.0 webapp called TerraClues. TerraClues basically allows anyone to create interactive Google map scavenger hunts. The great thing is that TerraClues has developed TerraClues for Schools which allows the teacher to easily utilize this in a computer lab or similiar setting.
TerraClues is FREE.
Recently, I taught a lesson at TechCamp using this tool and the flexibility and content rich process which students are interacting with on the site are amazing. Just a few years ago I would have never imagined something like this being online for students and teachers to use for free.
Teachers can quickly create a classroom login and password. Students then choose a screen name and individual password (if the teacher desires).
The implications for this site are obviously huge for subject matter such as geography, history, politics, current events, etc. Beyond Social Studies, however, there are so many possibilities for educators of all kinds. For a book report students can show the journey of the characters. For math, students could use distance calculations. For PE students can do a tour of the Olympic medal winning countries. For Art, students can take you to exhibits all over the world.
Here is just merely one sample of the layout of a hunt. You have all the tools of Google Maps AND Google Search right in the hunt.
With each clue, students can add relevant links to their sources for the viewer to follow. They can also add text and images onto the "flag" of the map when the viewer has discovered their clue:
During our experience there were a few bugs in the programming of the site. I highly recommend that everyone check out the possibilities of TerraClues and pass on the word and contact the developers to tell them how thankful we are that they have designed this FREE and AMAZING Web 2.0 tool for students. Let them know we will support them if they continue to create these types of learning opportunities!
If you or anyone else you know uses TerraClues in the classroom, please contact me. I am really interested in a "best practices" type wiki for this site, similiar to the VoiceThread4Education wiki.




2 comments:
WOW, Brad! The TerraClues in pretty awesome. I was able to play with it. I teach Creative Writing in a computer lab. I already have a couple of ideas I want to try. Thanks.
Brad,
Thanks for the great website. I did the tutorial and I can't wait to explore the options more.
Post a Comment